zaterdag 14 april 2018

Ready Player One

Past friday Noshi and me went to the movie labelled as the summum of geekdom... Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One.

Containing 138 easter eggs, that would be a trip to memory lane.

Plot

Wade is a young man living in a desolate earth anno 2047.  The whole population lives in the virtual gameworld of OASIS, and are hunting for the keys that would make them owner of the game after the death of it's designer Halliday.

Parzival, Wade's ingame name, is one of those people trying to find them, while being opposed by the Sixers, an army of 'gold farmers' from rival company IOI games, who want to get ownership for commercial goals.  When he suddenly cracks the code for the first key, a road race that seems impossible to win, he and his ingame friends go after the other keys while opposing the corporate enemy, who doesn't fear using real life violence as well.

What I liked about it

* Take this into account, me and Noshi are from a different generation.  She is of the 90s, and gets the whole 'addicted to the game' better then me.  Noshi is a hardcore raider gamer, I'm more the casual side event gamer who accidentally advances through main story lines and instances.  On the other hand, I'm a real 80s kid (some might say I never left them) and as such went woo-hoo on the huge amount of references.
* The Gundam RX-78-2.  I veered forward on my chair when he appeared.  Noshi laughed as about every 30+ guy in the theathre did exactly the same.
* That soundtrack!!!!!!!!!

What I didn't like about it

* Seeing the CGI Gundam, and remembering the terrible live action movie they produced two decades ago, they have no excuse anymore for not making a good one now.
* After the long time it took before the movie finally came out, I can finally read the book!

Critics said this was a waste of 2.5 hour, wel, I call that bullshit.  Sure, the characters aren't developped in depth, but it's a single movie full of references for the geek like me.

I loved the movie, period, as did Noshi.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten